The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) reports that 35 million Americans see chiropractors every year and that three out of four chiropractic patients report that the care they receive is beneficial.
If you’re currently seeing a chiropractor and have found out that you’re expecting, you’re likely wondering, “can you go to the chiropractor when pregnant?” Even if you’ve never visited a chiropractor before, problems that arise during pregnancy could lead you to consider seeking their services for the first time. Read on to learn more about chiropractic care and prenatal health.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care involves making adjustments to the spinal column and nervous system to keep the body in proper alignment. Most people visit chiropractors for the first time when they are experiencing back or body pain.
Research has shown that chiropractic treatment is often effective at managing pain. One study reported by the ACA found that 94 percent of chiropractic patients reported at least a 30 percent reduction in pain levels versus 54 percent of those managing discomfort with medications and other traditional interventions.
Why Pregnant Women May Seek Chiropractic Care
During pregnancy, your body shape changes rapidly. Your growing belly puts stress on your back and the joints in your hips and legs. Many women develop new pain as a result. Because of its focus on and reported benefits for pain relief, many women think about beginning chiropractic care while pregnant.
Benefits of Chiropractic Services While Pregnant
For women having healthy, complication-free pregnancies, chiropractic care can be beneficial for addressing numerous concerns. Research indicates the following potential benefits of seeing a chiropractor during pregnancy:
• Reduction in nausea symptoms or morning sickness
• Relief from back, neck, or joint pain related to changes in body weight and alignment
• Less frequent urine leakage
• Easing of sciatic nerve pain that develops due to pregnancy
• Ability to avoid pain medications that can pose a risk to the baby
• Shortening of labor and delivery time
• Easier vaginal delivery with less risk of C-section surgery becoming necessary
• Improvements in overall health and well being
Finding a Prenatal Chiropractor
If you decide to see a chiropractor during pregnancy, you must choose the right provider. Look for a family chiropractor who has prenatal care experience and already treats pregnant women in their practice.
Ask about whether they have been certified in webster technique related to pregnancy wellness.
– Webster Certification. Some chiropractors receive special training in the Webster Technique, a method of examining and treating pregnant women. Its purpose is to correct the pelvis’s alignment to alleviate many types of discomfort associated with pregnancy and promote a simpler, faster delivery.
So, can you go to the chiropractor while pregnant? As you can see, the answer depends upon your overall health, how well your pregnancy is progressing and whether you can find quality family chiropractic care with prenatal experience in your area.
If you have any questions or would like to see if prenatal chiropractic near Madison, WI is a fit for you please reach out to us at 608.824.0950 or click here.